Monday, December 30, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

It is hard to get excited about this film. The middle film of a trilogy, based on a book that I didn't read because it seemed so superfluous after the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Would you get excited about reading chapters 14-27 of a 40 chapter book, and not be allowed to read the end for another year? Well, it really is one of my pet peeves with trilogies these days (books and film). That being said, the film does engage. In spite of my own issues, the imagery and the storytelling are well done. We get the portion of the story where the dwarves travel through Mirkwood, avoid the Orc gang and sneak into the Lonely Mountain, initiating a confrontation with the dragon Smaug. A bit of humor with the Dwarves in casks kayaking down the river (and apparently a bit of magic too as they never seem to flip or fill with water). I stick by my original thinking, this will be an excellent way to spend 8 hours in 2014 when I can see the entire Hobbit in one go.
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: