Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

It has obviously taken awhile for me to get to see this, having been in theaters for months now. Bilbo, at the behest of Gandalf, joins a party of 12 dwarves on a journey to reclaim their homeland from Smaug the dragon. Along the way, the encounter elves, orcs, and goblins and Bilbo acquires the one-ring from Gollum... to be continued. I like Tolkien and Peter Jackson and the entire middle-earth world. But knowing that the book was expanded into a trilogy that I won't be able to finish for over a year left me flat. Overall, the film was an excellent visualization, hitting all the right notes and expertly portraying the fantastic journey of Bilbo. However, after the attention and extravaganza of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, this felt like it should have been a direct to DVD followup, Aladdin II so to speak. I suppose that when I finally sit down in 2014 and watch all three Hobbit films together, I will appreciate them for what they are. But now, it will have to sit as an excellent, average offering.

3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: