Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Gravity

George Clooney and Sandra Bullock are two astronauts stranded in space after a catastrophic (and repeating) encounter with space junk. Their task is to survive and find a way back to earth. I suppose I had mixed expectations walking into this film. The premise is fascinating, but with any explicitly science based film that is "known" for its scientific authenticity, my tendency is to look for holes. So I tried to just sit back and enjoy.  In the end, my mixed expectations were met. The premise was fascinating and the science was pretty good (but not perfect by any means). In the end, what I was struck by most was the flat feeling I had leaving the theater. Yeah, it was good, I liked it, etc. but I was not blown away and this is not something I will remember as a striking film. That being said, the one scene that did capture (for me) the vastness of space was Bullock floating away against a black background. Camera pull back. Suddenly the sheer volume of space became just a tiny bit clearer. Reminded me of my first experience with Scuba and the realization that I actually do live in a 3D world. If you could capture the vastness of space, juxtapose that with the feelings of claustrophobia of space walking, and sustain that for 80 minutes, now you have a film.
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: