Thursday, July 12, 2012

Battle: Los Angeles

First, don't confuse this with Battle of Los Angeles which I saw last summer, while thinking I was seeing this. They both have the same plot (Aliens invade LA and the marines save the day) but it becomes very clear what a few million dollars of production value will do. In this film, the writers try to produce a back story on protagonist Aaron Eckhart, nearly retiring staff sergeant in the marines. Unfortunately, the film is basically a "kill the aliens" movie, so back story just seems false. There are also lots of sci-fi elements thrown about, but not developed. So the aliens like our salt water oceans. Aside from that statement, we never get to take advantage of it or learn more about it. What an opening for a great story. I guess I don't have the patience that I used to for flat out summer fare. Or perhaps this is truly bad summer fare.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: