Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thor (IMAX 3D)

I don't like it... 3D that is. Either the technology is not quite right, or my eyes aren't, or maybe even my brain. I have problems with the peripheral vision, with the shadow images when the lenses from each eye don't completely align, and from the blurry imagery of too much going on in action scenes. I was constantly distracted by the technology from watching the film. I know I ranted on this last year, but I guess I forgot. Don't worry, I won't let it happen again. 3D is officially not a good idea... yet.
As for Thor, this is a moderately good film that stands on its own as a comic book hero flick. The danger in these films is that they are just setup for the next. Here we get a good mix of action in Thor's world (Asgard) and on Earth. As a plot device, Thor is banished to Earth after pissing off his dad by being an arrogant, war-mongering, wanna-be-King of a son. The banishment instills an appropriate amount of humble, peace-loving, care for the innocent, maturity which inevitably leads to the removal of the banishment. While this is all expected, it is also notable that it is done well, with appropriate timing and style. Never do we feel like we are watching a film just go through the motions. A good, but not outstanding, addition to the Avengers lineup.
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: