Saturday, August 15, 2009

Paper Heart

Charlyne Yi sets out to make a documentary about love. She does not love and does not think she will ever love. She wonders if it is even possible for her to love. Enter Michael Cera as the love interest. The doc cameras follow everyone around and we see a budding romance unfold, interspersed with Yi's interviews of all kinds of experts on love. I found myself laughing at some of the bits, the puppetry is a lot of fun and Cera is right on target with his bumbling persona. But this is clearly a mix of documentary and scripted drama, and I was left wondering at the end how much was scripted. Were the interviews real, or part of the drama? Somehow, this affects my appreciation of the film. Somehow, while I enjoyed watching, I didn't come out saying "Great Film".
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: