Saturday, August 1, 2009

In the Mood for Love

I don't know why I watch movies late on a Friday. This is summer, and Friday shouldn't be any different than any other day. But I still find myself tired on Friday, and last night was no different. So I saw about two-thirds of this film, and Annika told me about the rest of it. With that note, I must say that this is a fascinating film. Primarily for the filming. Set in Hong Kong, two separate couples (the Chan's and the Chow's) sublet rooms in adjacent apartments. They both happen to move in the same day and we get an immediate sense of the density of life in Hong Kong. The genius of this film is that the population density is very clear, even though there are never more than 3 or 4 people on camera at any time. Every shot is filmed around a corner, through a doorway, through a window, or over the shoulder of someone. You feel close. And since the film is set in the 60's, the decor is quintessential east. For the story, the two protagonists (Mrs. Chan and Mr. Chow) find their spouses are having an affair with each other. They become good friends and explore the friendship/tension that develops based on their spouses "secret" liaison. In the end (and I rely on Annika for this assessment), the film is a Chinese version of The Bridges of Madison County, both in story line and in its ability to highlight the character of the locale. This is not a great movie, but it is beautiful.
4-stars (out of 5)

No comments: