Thursday, July 2, 2020

Rachel Getting Married

I had seen this a long time ago and like it a lot. This time around, not quite as much. I had no recollection of the film, so was effectively watching it for the first time. Found on a list of movies recommended as treating depression with some fidelity, I can say that it seems to do that well. Anne Hathaway plays the sister getting out of drug rehab on a weekend pass in order to attend her sister Rachel's wedding. She struggles with not being the center of attention on this weekend and not receiving the validation she needs, and so acts out in order to get it. Everyone knows who she is, so it is not surprising, but is wearing. I did once again notice the music here, but instead of feeling clever and fresh, I found the character of music to be a bit annoying. All said, well acted and it really was a quality portrayal of family dynamic dysfunction.
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: