Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Happening

Episode Two of "The Apocalyptic Trilogy". I was surprised to notice the similarities between Episode One and Episode Two. Episode One (I am Legend) stars former teen rapper Fresh Prince in a drama about how a mutated virus becomes a hemotoxin that kills everyone in the Northeast. Episode Two (The Happening) stars former teen rapper Marky Mark in a drama about how plants evolved to emit neurotoxins which kill everyone in the Northeast.
This M. Night Shyamalan film is definitely a message film. There are too many people, and eventually nature will rise up and take action. Darwinian population control. An interesting idea, I will admit. I can even imagine the paragraph treatment that was shopped to the studios. Unfortunately, there is nothing interesting or engaging beyond the idea. No real suspense. No real characters. Wahlberg doesn't even come close to pulling off the sincere, dramatic leading man. The entire film is shouting "Listen to my message". I knew the message going in, and no value was added along the way.
1-star

I'll wait until I see Episode Three of the trilogy (Wall-E) before offering any thoughts on the trilogy as a whole.

No comments: