Saturday, October 18, 2008

I am Legend

This borders on the type of movie that I do not see. Too much jump out and scare you monster stuff for my liking. But beyond the few moments where I jumped out of my seat this was pretty good. Will Smith is able to carry this movie with ease as very nearly the only character. And while movies that disturb you are not necessarily bad, I was disappointed that Smith had to lose absolutely everything. Must the depravity of man be complete for this to have made its point. Must there be absolutely no hope? Must the end result of human "ingenuity" be destruction? While we try to end on a positive note with the discovery of the colony, the arrow of this film does aim directly for the heart of the ethical challenges that humanity will face this century. And if the film maker is more prophet than entertainer, our choices will be destructive. The "hopeful" ending does not wash away the pessimistic vision of the future offered up, and does not wash away the hopelessness experienced by Smith throughout. The subtext wins out in this story, and while completely unbelievable, is perhaps just a bit too believable to allow me to walk away happy.
3-stars

No comments: