Sunday, July 23, 2017

Girls Trip

First of all, I don't think I am the target audience for this film in any way. But I guess it is no different that me not being the target audience for Pitch Perfect and still liking that. This is the story of 4 friends who were the definition of close in college. Now, 10 years on, their connections have thinned and each has her own life which consumes most of their bandwidth. An opportunity to reunite (based on a paid for convention soirĂ©e of "The Successful One" brings the four back together in New Orleans. Of course there are tensions and old slights that rise to the surface. But the friendships are true and survive in the end (and if that is a spoiler, then you have not got a predictive bone in your body). I loved the soundtrack here, and strangely, I liked that it seemed OK for me to be a bit of a cultural voyeur. That is, as an outsider (white, male) I was able to watch the film and appreciate a point of view, relational process that I don't see... ever. Somehow this film felt at least a bit more authentic in how relationships are portrayed than the average buddy reunion film. There was still hyperbole, and still outrageous situations. But not as much, or at least not as the focus of the characters.
4 stars (out of 5)

No comments: