Saturday, July 22, 2017

Dunkirk

Supposedly the "film of the year", this tells the story of the evacuation of British soldiers from the beach of Dunkirk. All I can say is that it was adequate. It felt very much like an 'arthouse film' that was definitely letting me know as a viewer that 'you are watching an arthouse film, and you better appreciate it'. We did get to see the story from a few perspectives (on the beach, on a civilian rescue boat, in the air), and we did get a sense of the hopelessness, the terror of war, the sense of duty, etc. But again, beat me over the head with how good this movie is supposed to be. Maybe 10 minutes of dialogue in the film -- total. The storytelling is not chronological, which on its own can be interesting. But I don't feel that it was used effectively to tell this story. And I really didn't care about any of the characters. There are way better WWII movies out there.
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: