Sunday, May 17, 2015

Pitch Perfect 2

It can't be as perfect as the first. That one came out of left field and surprised everyone with quality, catchy songs, quirky characters, etc. that nearly everyone loved. Now we know the quirk and will not be pleasantly surprised. The danger is that we need to crank up the intensity resulting in over-the-top wacky/slapstick or try too hard to force the next catchy song, or maybe even worse, just phone it in and do exactly the same thing. Fortunately, the writers did a pretty good job of walking this fine line. The Barden Bellas, on top of the Acapella world having won the national championships, need to be broken down so that we can recreate the come from behind, underdog story. This happens quickly with a presidential faux pas and then later with a strange underground acapella slam that they don't win, sending them off with tails between legs. {Aside: tell me I am wrong that Reginald Watts in the Tone Hangers is a mutant cross of Questlove and James Harden - so weird I couldn't take my eyes off him}.  Transition to rebuilding process for world championship competition. As in the original, I love hearing the singing and harmonizations so was willing to sit through the connective dialogue. I do think that the aca-commentary that happened at every competition this time around was more shock-comedy that funny. I didn't hear anyone laughing, and found it to be unnecessary racism, genderism, etc. and was a missed opportunity for some actual comedy. But overall, the music was good enough, and I enjoyed my two hours.
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: