Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

I read a review of this by a film critic. While that particular critic did not look favorably on this latest installment from Marvel, I do believe that it was because he was confusing film and movie. This is clearly a movie. Not intended to be successful in any Oscar category other than special effects. Speaking of which, I was enthralled by the technical detail. This is clearly a master integration of live action and CGI, and I was never even noticing CGI. I only mention this because of one scene where Captain America does a roll/jump/kick/twirl to avoid a bullet and I laughed out loud because the thought popped into my head "I bet that looked funny without the background". It would have been something you saw in a university experimental dance routine. I bet if you watch the entire movie with "no CGI eyes", it would be quite hilarious. But I was caught up in the visuals and the story, so did not partake of that particular joy.  The story follows along the Marvel storyline begun in earlier movies, with the power sceptre of Loki occupying the center of the plot. Add in a couple new Avengers, bring back a couple old timers, wrap up the current story in a quick 2.5 hours and set yourself up for the next installments. What's not to like.
4 stars (out of 5)

No comments: