Monday, June 2, 2014

The Expendables 2

If you expect a film to be bad, and it is bad, how do you rate it? Is it a 5-star bad movie (living up to expectations)? This offering by Stallone, et. al. is exactly what is expected. It is a spoof/send up of action films, but in the genre of an action film. I think the original Expendables was more of an homage, this is clearly a spoof. The old guys offer too many cheeky glances and lob each other too many softball lines (Willis to Schwarzenegger: No I'll be back) to be anything else. And the wacky, mysterious appearance/disappearance of Chuck Norris can only be categorized as cheese. The body count is accordingly high and my only real complaint is the unnecessary "graphic comic violence" in the form of decapitations and blood splatter. Don't need it. I am watching a film to leave reality, let the killing fade into the background. Every bit that reminds me of actual war violence brings me right back to reality, which defeats the entire purpose of the film.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: