Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Godzilla

This is my first Godzilla film. It was everything I expected and completely disheartening at the same time. In terms of expectations, it was a nice creature film. It was sufficiently cheesy (big creatures eating ICBMs), sufficiently wacky (prehistoric creatures with a primary weapon of EMP pulse) and generated cheers in the audience a few times throughout. What more could you want from a creature film? What disappointed me was how much of a U.S. nationalist flavor this had. My expectation/hope was that this would be an eastern film, building on the Japanese monster with a decidedly Japanese character. It could be that I don't know what I was expecting, but walking out of the movie I found myself wondering why Godzilla had to go to San Francisco, why the US Navy had to be the hero, why this had to be so western. Very disappointing in that respect...
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: