Monday, December 31, 2012

Skyfall

Daniel Craig as James Bond. I guess it is just a different Bond than I grew up with, so it will never be THE James Bond. But as a decent action film, very nice. Great chase scenes, a little (very little) bit of intrigue, a bit revealed from the character's history, and some clever humor and nods to the past. I think a Craig-Bardem grudge match is quite interesting, regardless of the characters. Bardem is simply the best sociopath out there right now. He is flat-out creepy. With overall low expectations going in, I can say that all my expectations were fulfilled.

One general observation is that any time I am watching a film and thinking about something else, or about editing or how the film was made, then the film probably missed something. Here it was the green screen. I think it is fair to expect high quality effects in big budget films and when the green screen is low budget enough for me to notice, then someone overlooked the details of their job. When your protagonist is standing on a road overlooking a vista and pondering both past and future, there is no reason for the viewer to be thinking "Wow, that is particularly bad green screen masking". Do I ask for too much for my $12?

3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: