Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I Am Number Four

Don't know how I missed this last year, but I rather enjoyed it. It is strange that it is the third film I have seen in the last two weeks about alien races that are intent of destroying the earth and then moving on (see Men in Black III and Cowboys & Aliens). Here, the novelty is that living on earth are 9 good aliens who were put here to protect the earth after their own planet had been destroyed. They have some sort of rule that requires that the bad guys kill them in order. So we open with the murder of number three and follow the life of number four. Of course, four falls in love with a human, gets some help from a UFO believing kid and loses his guardian that came with him. But in the end, this is a nicely written, adequately acted action film that wrapped up sufficiently so that I wasn't mad at being sold a series. Even though this clearly could be a good series and is based on a book series. I really liked the subtle humor and look of the bad aliens. I really like that I was curious for most of the film about whether the gecko was good or bad. Nice job not revealing everything at once. Since it didn't make much money last year, the chance at the sequel is probably slim. Guess I will have to read it...
4 stars (out of 5)

No comments: