Sunday, January 4, 2009

Valkyrie

This story of the final attempt on Hitler's life in 1944 was interesting. Interesting... not the strongest word of praise for a movie, but about the best I can do for this Tom Cruise vehicle. A couple of things stick in my mind. The portrayal of Hitler gave the impression that he was short of a full deck mentally in that last year. And not just sociopath, but dementia/Alzheimer, lack-of-brain-function problems. While there is likely lots of debate about his mental health, and it doesn't matter for the plot of this movie, it did strike me as different that the character of my expectations. A second point of interest is the conflicted conviction of those involved in the conspiracy. Individuals who were initially fully supportive and committed to the plan, balked when the time came for them to implement their phase. I wonder how this aspect of human nature (to react differently than planned out of fear) would impact my pacifism. I think and believe that there is always an alternative to violence. And yet, if I am ever put in a position of needing to decide whether to use violence or not, will fear drive me to action that is not consistent with my rationality or belief. Strange that an assassination film leads me to these thoughts.
3-stars

No comments: