Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My First Mister

Guest Review by Annika -
My favorite storyline is that of unlikely friendships being forged. The characters in My First Mister are not as comfortably uncomfortable as The Station Agent, as richly colorful as Bagdad Cafe, as deliciously prickly as Mostly Martha, or as triumphant over age as Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont or Monsieur Ibrahim. But in this "forging friendships" genre my tolerance is wide (unlike with cinema in general) and I'd recommend it as a close second if any of the above films are not available. Alienated teenage Jennifer gets fired from her mall retail job "not for stealing but for farting." She wanders over to a stuffy men's clothing store where old sobersides Randall (with a terrible mustache) gives her a job. Quirky life altering friendship ensues. Points also for most creative mannequin display.
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: