Friday, June 4, 2010

Killers

I questioned my decision to see Killers before going. I am not a Kutcher or Heigl fan, it is clearly going to be a wrote comedy/action/romance film and while in the theater I noticed that the majority of attendees were in the 14 year old girl demographic. Besides, I could go to Laemmle and see a good film (I have never seen a bad film there). But I went anyway. And while I am apparently the only one in the world to like this film, I did. Kutcher plays a trained CIA assassin who falls in love with Heigl while on a job in France. Fast forward three years and the two live in suburbia, completely content with their "normal" life. Then the other shoe falls. Kutcher is reactivated, refuses to go back to his old job, and a host of sleeper agents come to try to knock him off. Note: by "host of sleeper agents" I mean that every character with a speaking part in the film is actually a sleeper agent. Heigl gets dragged into the effort to stay alive until everything is nicely wrapped up in the end. Predictable. So why did I like it? Perhaps because it was a Friday night popcorn diversion and at the end of the week I can no long handle movies that require engagement. This required none. Instead, every idea used in assassin/romance films was used in a way that didn't challenge the viewer to move outside the box. I laughed at a few of the jokes and enjoyed the performance by Tom Selleck in particular. He plays Heigl's dad and he plays it so that the appearance of an actor reading lines in a bad movie actually comes across as the characters personality. Overall, brainless summer fare.
3 stars (out of 5)

2 comments:

ben wideman said...

what a glowing(?) review! It almost(?) makes me want to go see it!

Seriously though, Ty, I really enjoy your reviews - keep it up!

metabuxman said...

Yeah, I know. Glad to see my actual ambivalence show through... that is the nice part of having a very large 3-star category. Depending on your tolerance, you may find something you like there. Thanks for reading...