Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Brothers Bloom

I am not sure why this is titled The Brothers Bloom plural. Only one brother is named Bloom. Otherwise, I have only good things to say about this film. A good con film is one where even the viewer is not sure about the con. When does it start, and when does it end. Here Mark Ruffalo and Adrian Brody play brothers who have developed their skills over the course of a lifetime. They are careful, yet daring. They always plan out the con and it is generally complex and multi-staged. This theme holds the film together as we are taken through each stage. However, as a viewer, we have not seen the whole map. We don't know when the con is finished. As a result, I was enjoying the introduction of new elements along the entire way. Some of them were an obvious part of the plan, and others kept me wondering. Rachel Weisz does an excellent job as the eccentric mark/co-conspiritor and the chemistry is good between her and Brody. An added benefit was the visual style presented. The coloring and clarity of the filming made it enjoyable to watch regardless of the story. Overall, a fine Halloween offering.

3 comments:

KjK said...

I agree with 90% of this, but what of the ending? In order for a con film to work for me is for it to hold up afterward. I am fine with being confused, but I need to feel that the resolution makes some sort of sense.

I did like Brody and Weiss together and it was a lovely trip though Europe with a nice soundtrack.

I will stick with Brick.

metabuxman said...

Brick wins hands down. But I don't mind the occasional plot hole. What got me here was that when I thought the con was over, they revealed one more stage. Which kept me to the end wondering about if there was "one more stage".

Jamie said...

We just saw this one! I absolutely loved it! Loved Rachel's character...her lines totally caught me off guard. :) " You are constipated...in your SOUL!" "I LOVE thunderstorms!" Hahahahaha! I liked Brody too. Good story.