Saturday, November 24, 2018

Fantastic beasts

False advertising. It was fantastic beast...singular. And while Grindelwald is the bad guy, we don't really get anything about his crimes. In fact, from what I can tell, he is bad because he plans to exercise his power over muggles ("those with the power should rule") and is recruiting other magicians to his cause. A key part of his plan is to get the kid Creedence on his side. Newt wants to stop that, protecting Creedence on behalf of Dumbledore, who can't play this time around. I felt throughout this film put me in a place of wondering what I missed and how I missed it (since I watched the whole film), and where was I supposed to get this seemingly missing information. I don't remember the actual plot/story from the first film 2 years ago, so if that was the source of my blank mind, I say poor film making. You can't depend on my memory to connect plot detail threads over years. Actually disappointed.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: