Friday, July 13, 2018

Skyscraper

Duane Johnson is an independent security consultant hired to assess the security of the worlds largest building so that it can be insured. As he is doing so, bad guys take over the building and start it on fire. But Johnson's family is in the building, so he has to get them out. [Spoiler alert] And he does. So clearly this is not Oscar material. It is straight up summer action. For these types of movies I am willing to go with the flow, overlook the deficiencies in plot, science, character development, continuity, etc. And when you do, it is kinda fun. But as a bottom line, I will say that this is the first film that I have laughed out loud in a long time at how blatantly obvious the bad science is. So much so that I gave up trying to remember examples so I could use them as teaching points. For the scientists, this is either an action-comedy or an action-horror movie. I chose comedy and thoroughly enjoyed it.
3 stars (out of 5)

No comments: