Sunday, December 24, 2017

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I know that whether you self-identify as a fan or a fan-boy will directly influence your perception of how good this movie is. As a fan, I loved it. The plot tension is built from the beginning with the last vestiges of the Rebellion working out a retreat in order to fight another day. Rey tracks down Luke, seeking help and bit of training on the side. Nothing works out quite right. And while we expect that nothing working out quite right will still allow things to work out, I feel like the story took some turns that weren't necessarily "just the formula". Great action, insubordination, and good v evil. Great use of color and sound to thoroughly set mood. Nice connections to the Star Wars canon, without being bound by it, leaving room for future story to move around a bit. And it made me want to watch the rest of the films again to remember what exactly that canon is (which by stating that I need to see to remember clearly places me outside the fan-boy category). 

No comments: