Saturday, December 10, 2016

Jackie

An interesting take on the JFK assassination story from the perspective of Jackie Kennedy. The story mechanism is an interview with Jackie a few weeks after the event, told in alternating bits of flashback and conversation with the reporter. I would guess that the historical fact portions are largely consistent with history (although I have no independent verification of that). I actually found the movie a bit slow and overly dramatic. That is, I felt like the pacing, even the score, was intentionally trying to build drama and angst, to force me as a viewer to feel the grief of Jackie. Overwrought? Yes. The grief was present and apparent without the manipulation. I will also say that something bugged me about Natalie Portman's accent and portrayal of Jackie. It seemed forced, and overly intentional. That said, I have never seen a single bit of footage of the actual Jackie Kennedy, so perhaps it was true to form. All in, interesting - but a bit grating.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: