Monday, March 21, 2016

The Mermaid

I have this on my list for awhile as it has been getting good reviews. Although now that I have seen it, I am not sure why. Or, I am not the target audience. The story is of a mermaid clan in a particular bay that have been inadvertently trapped there by developers. The developers put sonar broadcasters in the bay to keep dolphins out so they could develop the property without violating dolphin protection laws. But the sonar is killing the mermaids. The mermaid clan sends one of their own as a honey pot to lure and then kill the developer. She falls in love and can't complete the mission. The developer sees the error of his ways and turns off the sonar. Ho hum. Very predictable, with odd sequences that may have been intended as comic relief, or transitional opportunities for characters, but just came off as odd. I guess the Chinese romantic comedy demographic does not include me.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: