Friday, August 7, 2015

The Fantastic Four

Full Disclosure: I have a special appreciation for The Fantastic Four. It is the only comic that I read regularly as a kid, and the only one that I would actually go to the comic store every week and buy new issues (even into college). Needless to say, I have been waiting for this franchise. Having seen the film, I can only say that I hope the franchise continues. Primarily because:

  1. I like the characters developed here and how they could develop into something fun, and 
  2. this was itself not a standalone film. It needs more films to justify its existence.

If you are not a huge Fantastic Four fan, then wait a few years, watch a couple of the next installments (which are sure to come) and then go back and watch this as an origin story prequel. This film is entirely back story. So much so that of the 100 minute running time, at most 2 minutes will be dedicated to the four working together as superheroes. So in that way, a huge letdown. We didn't even get to see the Fantastic Four being the Fantastic Four. That said, the characters developed are strong enough (on a superhero scale, not an Oscar scale) that I can see the possibilities for good films with this foursome in the future. So we got this out of our system, bring on the good stuff.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: