Friday, July 10, 2015

Love and Mercy

This biopic of Brian Wilson (and the Beach Boys) has accomplished its purpose. I did not grow up on the Beach Boys, nor did I know much about Wilson. And walking out of the theater I was fascinated by his life and interested in buying a couple of the albums to listen to them in the newly learned context of his life. The film walks two paths simultaneously: young Brian Wilson as the genius songwriter driving the Beach Boys and experiencing the onset of his mental illness, and current Brian Wilson, under the care of a psychologist trying to exploit and control his fame. Both stories are really sad, but immensely interesting as we get insight into the creative process of both an individual and a band. And as we get insight into the struggle of mental illness (diagnosed with depression and schizophrenia). Ultimately, in this case, we get a happy ending and I am on my way to purchase Pet Sounds and Smile.
4 stars (out of 5)

No comments: