Saturday, January 26, 2013

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

I am trying to decide whether this film was worth while or not. The fact that I actually have to consider this probably means it was not. The plot follows Hansel and Gretel 25 years after their childhood escape from the gingerbread house. As they have become the regional witch hunters, their services are very much in demand. Throughout the story, we watch as they hunt witches and come to terms with the truth of their past. All very low concept and perfect for a summer flick. Unfortunately, either the writing or the acting (or both) left me feeling like we are all just marching through a script to the end. It may be the matter-of-fact voice over narration that gave the "ho-hum here's another boring witch" feel. While I can see the value of creating this mood intentionally in the first third, the film was never able to turn it up a notch and get out of "ho-hum" to develop tension that needed resolution. Add this to the fact that I didn't get popcorn since I had just had lunch, so I can't even give it a great rating as a popcorn movie.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: