Saturday, December 31, 2011

I Love You Philip Morris

True is almost always interesting if it is made into a film. And Jim Carrey is almost always entertaining. But True and Jim Carrey don't guarantee a great film. I Love You Philip Morris is the story of a great con man who, having met his true love in prison, goes to great extremes to insure that they are always together. These extremes are so extreme that they are unbelievable, but I guess the Unbelievable True makes for the most interesting story. Breaking out of prison (several times), million dollar embezzlement, and impersonations is great fodder for a film and reminds me of Catch Me If You Can which is, sans love story, the same story. But I still found my self distracted and thinking "move it along" throughout the film. Somehow, there is just not enough here to be a good film, in spite of the massively fascinating story.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: