Thursday, January 20, 2011

Long Way Down

Ever since seeing The Motorcycle Diaries, I have thought a cross continent trip would be fun. This documentary cements that thought for me. Ewan McGregor and his buddy take a motorcycle trip from Ireland to Capetown and Long Way Down is a 12-hour or so documentary of their trip. Besides convincing me that such a trip would be fabulous, I am also now convinced that I could never do it. This isn't just two guys and two motorcycles. It is two guys, two motorcycles, 6 more guys, another motorcycle, 2 support vehicles, three months on the road and corporate sponsors. So maybe I will keep the dream alive, but just scale it back a bit. As far as this series goes, don't give up at the first episode (which is pretty boring). You could even probably skip the first couple hours as they prepare and travel through England and Europe. The real fun starts in Africa and fortunately, the route does not include a lot of paved roads. We get to see travel where tourists don't usually go. As far as travel shows go, this one is a lot of fun.
4 stars (out of 5)

No comments: