Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Losers

Another summer action movie based on a graphic novel that is not well known by the general public. As such, it has no history (like a Batman would). Here we have a group of special ops soldiers who are betrayed by their handler (whom is anonymous) and engage in a mission of revenge. Sort of a poor mans Jason Bourne. Poor mans not because this film looked any cheaper to make, but because it is not as clever. The bad guy resorts to nonchalantly killing people in a way that makes me feel like I am part of a video game. Nothing graphic or gory, just unemotional and gratuitous, but a cheap way to make the bad guy bad without any effort in story or motivation. Overall, this is a lazy effort meant to cash in on graphic novel action. I read an editorial recently in the LA Times (I believe) that suggested we need to hold movies to different standards based on their intent. For example, it suggested that this movie would be worth it if it only cost $4 to see at the cheap theater. While I like the idea that different films have different value, I must disagree that this was worth $4. I tried to imagine wanting to see this streamed on netflix and even then I think I would feel ripped off. Skip this one.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: