Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hot Tub Time Machine

I am sorry for John Cusack. I was expecting to enjoy this movie if not only for the fact that it was traveling back to the 80's. Unfortunately, it was not the 80's of my experience. Aside from the hair, a bit of music, and an unusually large cell phone this could have been almost any time. For an example of how to do cultural time travel correctly, go see Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me. But here, we have a retread plot, a seemingly bored John Cusack, and a real lack of energy. I laughed a couple of times, but a couple of laughs does not a movie make. Sometimes when I look back at movies I have seen I feel like I am too generous or that I have low standards because I pretty much enjoy anything. So for that reason I am glad I saw this. It reminds me that I do have standards.
2 stars (out of 5)

No comments: