Sunday, December 27, 2009

I've loved you so long

This 2008 French film has won lots of awards (often for Kristin Scott Thomas as Juliette) and they are well deserved. We meander the paths of grief, relationship and reconciliation with family and with self as Juliette guides us back into life after an unmentionable past. Characters and viewers alike are walking on eggshells to begin the journey toward transformation as Juliette reunites with her sister. In the end, the story wraps up very nicely. Perhaps even too nicely which makes the subsequent reconciliation a bit too palatable and too easy. But the internal struggle that Juliette engages is very real, difficult and worthwhile.
4 stars (out of 5)

2 comments:

ben wideman said...

Good to see some reviews back up! I'm waiting to see what you have to say about Avatar.

I'm going to disagree with your (500) days of Summer review, but maybe its because I saw it with low expectations at the cheap theater all by myself - enough to make anyone like a movie I guess.

I've been meaning to check out Up in the Air - glad to hear it gets a four star review from the Bux-man.

Do you lend out movies? I'd like to borrow Chris and Don sometime.

metabuxman said...

Ben,
Definitely agree that expectations have a lot to do with movie enjoyment. But I am sticking with my (500) review. Could one have any lower expectations than an airplane movie? I am looking forward to Avatar (uh oh, that may mean trouble) and will get you Chris and Don next time I see you.