Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hancock

Brilliant. I realize now that I was just sitting, watching and enjoying the movie, with no thought about what might be coming next. My attention was held, even though in hindsight, I should have noticed that the fairly predictable plot would not sustain a 90 minute movie. Only to find that the fairly predictable plot was not so predictable. It had all the right touches, right opportunities to laugh, grimace and enjoy. Clearly the best summer movie of 2008.
Hancock (4-stars)

In hindsight, I need to downgrade The Promotion to 4-stars. This happens sometimes. As I was thinking about that movie (which I really enjoyed by the way) it didn't hang around in my head. It doesn't satisfy the "I would own it" criteria required for a 5-star movie. In the same way, let me use this opportunity to remind our friendly readers about Elling. This movie was originally rated 4-stars, but after about a month, I upgraded it to 5-stars. I still laugh once in awhile when I remember certain scenes in that movie. The birthday gift exchange in particular, showing the true nature of friendship. Knowing exactly what would make a friend extremely happy, and making sure that they got that.
The Promotion (4-stars)
Elling (5-stars)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you gave such a good review to Hancock because the Calendar section of the LA Times didn't really from what I cared to read at the beginning of the article. Blame Google.