Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wanted

I can suspend disbelief as well as the next person. Possibly even better than the average movie-goer. So the fact that a millennium old clan of assassins has been taking its orders from the statistical fluctuations in a loom doesn't really bother me. I was curious about how often the loom produced gibberish with its binary code, and perhaps that I was thinking about this curiosity during the movie says something about the movie. And I was a bit surprised that the loom in the birthplace of the Fraternity didn't start spitting out contradictory kill orders leading to a metaphysical showdown to determine which loom was the true harbinger of fate. But otherwise, the story held together enough for me. The one holdback was the gratuitous slo-mo kill sequence. This movie would have held together just as well, and perhaps would even give a more pleasant overall experience, without seeing grey matter slowy splat the walls. Don't get me wrong. In the right context, there is definitely room in moviedom for slo-mo grey matter splatter (see 300) and in some cases it adds to the overall effect that a director is trying to achieve. For me, in this case, it was just distracting.
3 - stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think those wandering thoughts really had more to do with the fact that you are Buxman, rather than the movie itself.